Sunday, June 24, 2007

Gold Cup Final Roundup and Thoughts

Great previews from trusted names:

In short, "I have a bad feeling about this."

Maybe it is the back spasms I'm suffering through or the sharp pain somewhat lower caused by my Arsenal team facing a future without Thierry Henry and David Dein and possibly sans Monsieur Wenger. Maybe it is that this transitional version of the USMNT gives me fits with its dodgy defending. But I don't feel as confident as I have in recent years going up against El Tri.

As Carlisle notes, much of the US attack has been, and will need to be, focused around the Donovan and Beasley, who with Dempsey have produced some really fine counterattacking soccer in spots during this tournament. And with a surprisingly strong Frankie Hejduk suspended, a young defender (I hope and expect Jonathan Spector) will be asked to step into Frankie's shoes--providing solid defending, timely runs, and twelve-yards-behind-the-goal crosses.

more tomorrow...

No comments: