Monday, January 29, 2007

Saints be praised! Onyewu still not going to Chelsea!

After CNN, SoccerTimes, and others reported the Gooch deal to Marseille done and dusted, he shows up on Tyneside getting a physical to secure a loan to Newcastle. Or so they'd have us believe.

Honestly, I need to remember to never trust European football media on transfer news. If ESPN's Buster Olney says that your favorite middle reliever is going to the Padres next week, then you can safely start buying hats and jerseys. For soccer transfers, believe it when you see the guy holding a jersey up at a press conference.

To be fair, the European footballing media has a herculean task; they've got to monitor transfer activity across dozens of leagues, hundreds of teams, and thousands of players. So, basically, I'm not going to be shocked if we see Gooch smiling in a Kashima Antlers strip tomorrow morning.

While I have some opinions about how Onyewu will fit in at Newcastle, I'm holding my tongue until I see the jersey shot.

No comments: