Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Soccer Specific Stadia and Real Salt Lake's blues

Brian Garrison of An American's View on Football/Futbol/Soccer has a really nice piece on the funding being pulled out from under Real Salt Lake's stadium plan. He lays out not only the consequences of the deal falling through, but also the domino effect of RSL either being contracted or sold and rebranded.

First, I'll say that breaking ground on a stadium before you have funding is like reporting on where some big American center back will transfer before you see him with a new jersey. Rolling the dice.

Secondly, this is a real shame for the RSL fans. It's bad enough they've had to suffer with that name--the jarring collison of poetic Castilian and prosaic, um...well...Salt Lake.

I realize I've been really spoiled as a Columbus Crew fan that I always watch my MLS games in a soccer-specific stadium. I remember one particular evening before a game with D.C., walking with some friends through the parking lot, waving at tailgaters, dodging the errant juggling of teenagers, and watching parents and their children kicking soccer balls around the field. It was twilight, and in the distance, you could see the whole stadium aglow and hear the fans chanting and stomping the bleachers. The stadium was in full voice, and kids were buzzing with excitement to see Freddy Adu.

My friend and I looked at one another and didn't have to say a word. This was soccer and this was the U.S. We never thought we'd actually see the day, but it was beautiful.

No comments: